We are going to learn:
Vocabulary: adjectives related to descriptions
Grammar: comparison of adjectives
· We use comparatives to compare two things i.e John is taller than Mary
· We use superlatives to compare one thing with the rest of the group it belongs to.
i.e. John is the tallest in the class
1. One syllable adjective we add er (comparative) est (superlative) cheap cheaper cheapest
2. One syllable adjective ending in consonant+vowel+consonant dobles de consonant
i.e. hot hotter the hottest
3. Two syllable adjectives ending in “ Y “ replace the “Y” with –ier
i.e. happy happier the happiest
4. Two or more syllable adjectives we add more/less (Comparative)
the most/the least (superlative) i.e more beautiful than the most beautiful
5. Irregular adjectives
good better the best
bad worse the worst
far farther the farthest
further the furthest
Comparation of equality
as + adj+ as ( tan + adj+com)
She is as tall as her mother.
She isn’t as tall as her father.
Enough and too
Enough means “sufficient” enough comes after adjectives and adverbs
too means “more than enough” or “more than is needed or wanted”
Too comes before adjectives and adverbs
i.e It isn’t hot enough to go for a swim
i.e. it is too cold to go for a swim
exercises 1 (enough or too)
1-Complete These sentences with the correct adjective
2-Complete this chart
cheap – –
careful- more careful-
1. Which girl is ________? Dana or Karen?
|2. Tomer is _________ boy in the class.
the most strong
|3. The China Wall is _____ wall in the world.
|4. February is ______ than April.
|5. I am ______ at music than my old sister.
|6. Ice hockey is __________ sport in Canada.
the most popular
|7. Amalia is ___________ girl in the class.
|8. Swimming is ______________ than running.
the most exciting
|9. Traveling by plane is________ than traveling by ship.
|10. Jerusalem is _________ city in Israel.
|11. The weather this week is _________ than last week.
To practise the superlatives go here
The comparatives and superlatives
1. Which twin sister is older, Adele or Keavy? How much older is she?
2. What do the following people answer: Which is bigger, New York or San Francisco?
3. Who can cook better?
– Maureen or Raphael:
– Deboarh or Neil:
– Debra or Laura:
– Mia or Shauna:
– Archie or Helen:
Watch the second part of the video and complete the sentences with a superlative:
1. Michael thinks that the ________________ city in the USA is New York.
2. Mary thinks that Greece is the _____________ country in the world.
3. Patty says that the ___________ country in the world is Antarctica.
4. Kevin says that Glasgow is the ___________ city in Scotland.
5. June thinks that Perth is the __________ part in Scotland.
6. Eoin says that Dublin is the __________ city in Ireland
7. Eoin says that Galway is the __________ city in Ireland.
8. Dermot says that the River Shannon is the ________ river in Ireland.
9. Mary Louise says that the ___________ place for them to visit is England because there’s no language barrier.
10. Ken likes France the _________
11. Hayles thinks that the French are delightful people, the ___________ in the world.
The Most Beautiful Language
Watch the third part of the video and answer the question:
What is the most beautiful language for…?
– Keesha, Celeste and Mary: